Recently I moved from my old place in Amsterdam to Almere. I listed down all the tasks I needed to finish.
Here is my two cents:
- Notify the current owner (2 months ahead of the moving date)
- Ask when we can cancel rent.
- Cancel house rent.
- Ask when we can get our deposit back.
- Repair the old place (a month ahead of the moving date)
- Fill nail holes with wood filler and drywall filler.
- If there is something you cannot fix, find a handyman with a friend’s recommendation.
- My experience with handyman are not good. I picked MrFix from online, both handyman did terrible jobs.
- Find moving company (a month ahead of the moving date)
- They charge hourly. I used BearStorm Moving Service, quite happy with the service.
- I did the packing myself.
- Packing (a month ahead of the moving date)
- Shrink wrap (Krimpfolie in Dutch, can be found in Gamma or Karwei)
- Buy boxes and tapes from Action.
- Cancel electricity, gas and water (a month ahead of the moving date)
- Take pictures of the meter reading before leaving the place.
- Cancel internet (1 or 2 months ahead of the moving date)
- If you are gonna use the same vendor, make all appointments to install new router/modem in your new place.
- Otherwise, choose a new vendor as soon as possible as make installation appointment.
- Appointment date can be the same date as moving date, maybe in the afternoon.
- Ask the previous tenant to keep the router/modem for you.
Leave new house address or phone number in old house so that new tenant can forward mails.
- When you move in to a new place
- Take pictures of the meter reading for electricity, gas and water.
- Take pictures of any broken things.
… and start making another todo list :-)